Yadanar means Gems in Burmese and the children are the gems. This wonderful foundation is a non-profit organisation run by dedicated, unpaid, volunteers.
It opened in 2010 & its goal is to provide educational support and encouragement to 50-100 extremely disadvantaged children. They are the poorest of the poor, of all races and religions, living in the outskirts of Mandalay.
The Foundation’s vision is that the children will be cherished, motivated and enabled to fulfil their potential. They will be encouraged to develop their self-esteem as they learn in a safe and secure and creative, learning environment
The plan is to achieve the goals using a 5-step approach – with steps 1 to 4 already in place
1. Providing a safe, secure and fun but disciplined and well-managed environment for learning.
2. Providing tutoring with a strong focus on the learning of reading writing and arithmetic.
3. Upgrading health and hygiene by providing a small nutritious meal before lessons and information/checks on health and hygiene
4. Providing school uniforms, footwear, exercise books etc.
In just a few short weeks since the school opened they are already carrying out steps 1 to 4
5. Is a long-term objective to build up the children’s self-esteem, motivation and levels of aspiration. A key component of this will be to arrange activities such as:
arts, crafts and music lessons
reading / library program
parent –child reading programs
All these components of step 5 will be implemented when funding is available to support them.
The Burma Children’s Fund is delighted to be involved with this praiseworthy initiative and we have high hopes for its future success.
Would you like to help us? Every pound will make a difference and its easy to get involved by using the Donate Now Tab